Sunday, April 24, 2011

Eclectic Tradition

When I was a youth, I lived in a place where hot cross buns were indispensable for Easter. My own family's preference ran to zeppoli and canoli, so I learned to like them only with great effort ("Nope, not yet... Lemme have another."). My wife, however, comes from the Land of the Overwhelmingly Large Cinnamon Roll. From this eclectic mix, after no little experimentation, comes the surprisingly delicious Hot Cross Cinnamon Roll, pictured above. To our children's delight, we frosted them this year with red glaze crosses. They really are as satisfyingly good as deep fried dough goodies -- must be the lard!

Most joyous Easter to all my readers. Smiter is waiting for you to join the Church next year, if you haven't already. I'll keep the rolls warm for ya, 'cause food is love.

No comments: